St Augustine Church Norwich

red brick ower of st AugustinesSt Augustine stands rather remote from the other churches of Norwich, partly because the area around it was, until the 19th century, fields and gardens. It is probably named for St Augustine of Canterbury, who was sent to England by Gregory the Great in 597, although there is a possibility it may be named for Augustine of Hippo. it is the only pre-reformation church in Norfolk with this dedication – whichever of the two Augustines it is!


The most noticeable thing about the church is its red brick tower. This was built in 1682-7, although the bottom few feet are what remains of the old flint tower. The unusualness of this tower caused the parishioners to be known as ‘Red Steeplers’.

pointed arch within Flint Porch  with stone edging

The rest of the church is built of flint, dating largely from the 15th century, although much was done in the 1880s, when R M Phipson worked here – notably the windows, the buttresses, and the south porch. The nave appears shorter than it is, on account of its tall clerestorey, which is not continued into the chancel.




Blue stained glass window  with altar beneathThe church is square in plan, with a nave and a chancel of equal length, and two aisles that run their full length east to west.

The roof was put up around 1530, and is of arch-braced construction. The font is 15th century. The gallery front in the tower may be made from the old 18th century communion rails. The rest of the furnishings date from the 1880 restoration.

There is not much stained glass: the east window is 1870, and the one in the vestry (of St Augustine of Canturbury and St Felix of Dommoc) dates from 1901.


Include a memorial to Matthew Brettingham - architect at Holkham Hall.

To see full details of all sculptured wall monuments click here

Nineteenth century
Before Phipson’s restoration work, the interior presented a very different appearance. Owing to its square plan, the communion table was at the east end (where it still is) but the pulpit and reading desk were at the west end, with the box-pews arranged in between, so that the occupants could see both.

decorated wooden chancel screen before alter and reredosThe present arrangement, with the pine pew benches, and the reredos, are all of the 1880s. The screen (which incorporates the pulpit and reading desk) was erected in 1920 in memory of those from the parish who lost their lives in the Great War.

The parish was united with various neighbouring ones – St Mary Coslany, St George Colegate – over the years, but was finally united with St Luke, Aylsham Road, in 19.., and declared redundant in 1997. It came under the care of the Churches’ Conservation Trust in 2000.


Churches managed by NHCT are highlighted in in bold below. Click to visit a church.
All Saints Westlegate St. George Tombland St. Julian St. Michael at Plea
St. Andrew St. Giles St. Lawrence St. Peter Hungate
St. Augustine St. Gregory St. Margaret St. Peter Mancroft
St. Benedict St. Helen St. Martin at Oak St. Peter Parmentergate
St. Clement St. James Pockthorpe St. Martin at Palace Plain St. Saviour
St. Edmund Fishergate St. John de Sepulchre St. Mary Coslany St. Simon & St. Jude
St. Etheldreda St. John Maddermarket St. Mary the Less St. Stephen
St. George Colegate St. John Timberhill St. Michael(Miles) Coslany St. Swithin