The tower is the memorable feature of this church, being formed of a brick octagon (of 1743) sitting on a flint cube, all resting on the west end of the nave. The whole of the church as it is now is of Perpendicular date, and consists of a nave, a chancel, and a south aisle that runs the whole length of both - but with no clerestorey.
The south porch is attached to the aisle, suggesting that the porch came first. Its parapet was rebuilt (to a different design) in the twentieth century. It had been given a Classical 'makeover', and had three figures perched upon it. The rebuild restored a Gothic appearance. One of these figures still remains as a pinnacle on the south-west corner.
The windows are all Perpendicular, except for the east window, which is Decorated. The structure of the tower is immediately apparent on entering. It sits on three arches (east, south, and north) at the west end of the nave, forming a kind of narthex. As these line up with the north and south doors (and the later south porch), it would have allowed processions to pass through the building. The aisle has four-centred arches, with octagonal piers. The chancel roof is arch braced, while that in the nave is scissor-beamed
Nineteenth century -restorations took place in 1842 and 1882. This later one saw the insertion of fashionable 'mediŠval-style' furnishings, including a screen and a Gothic reredos. The parish of St James was a notorious slum area in nineteenth-century Norwich. It was dominated by the Pockthorpe Brewery. It was one of the early churches to adopt High Church ritual. The parish magazines reveal that, in the late nineteenth century, societies of every kind met every night of the week. It was the first parish in which sisters from the Community of All Hallows at Ditchingham came to work. Twentieth century - The furnishings have all been dispersed. The font, probably fourteenth-century, is now in the daughter church of St Mary Magdalen, Silver Road. It is octagonal, with two saints on each face of the bowl and a further eight around the stem. (A similar one, from All Saints' church, is now in St Julian's.) Also in St Mary's is the dado of the mediŠval rood screen, with ten fine paintings. The church was closed in 1972, and in 1980 was converted for use as a puppet theatre. An octagonal structure was built on the south side to provide storage and working space.
|All Saints Westlegate||St. George Tombland||St. Julian||St. Michael at Plea|
|St. Andrew||St. Giles||St. Lawrence||St. Peter Hungate|
|St. Augustine||St. Gregory||St. Margaret||St. Peter Mancroft|
|St. Benedict||St. Helen||St. Martin at Oak||St. Peter Parmentergate|
|St. Clement||St. James Pockthorpe||St. Martin at Palace Plain||St. Saviour|
|St. Edmund Fishergate||St. John de Sepulchre||St. Mary Coslany||St. Simon & St. Jude|
|St. Etheldreda||St. John Maddermarket||St. Mary the Less||St. Stephen|
|St. George Colegate||St. John Timberhill||St. Michael(Miles) Coslany||St. Swithin|