The tower has a distinctive profile, as the buttresses stop short at the base of the belfry stage. This has Decorated windows. Its north-east buttress is crushed by the nave, which suggests that the nave is later – it may have been widened.
The south porch is crammed onto the west end of the south aisle, which suggests that it was there before the aisle was built. In its spandrels are carvings of St Margaret and another figure amongst branches. It has an ogee niche for a statue.
The south nave aisle has a string course which continues onto its east face, but which is not continued onto the chancel aisle, indicating that they are of different builds, as does the lower roof-line of the chancel aisle.
Under the east window of the chancel is a blocked arch turned in brick (about 6 feet by 3 feet), which has the appearance of a blocked doorway – but an unusual site for one.
On the north side is a plainer porch than that on the south, and a Victorian vestry, in the walls of which is the remains of an early carving of the Crucifixion.
The windows are all late Perpendicular, with depressed arches.
The south porch has a tierceron star-vault.
The piecemeal development of the church is very evident, as the arches opening off in various directions show. To a church of nave and chancel, a south aisle was added, probably in the fifteenth century. This has an arcade of two arches, with pillars of plastered brick. These have concave sides and rounded angles – as do those next door at St Lawrence.
On the same side the chancel aisle has pillars of the same style.
At the east end of the nave is a small doorway which gives access to the chancel chapel.
The nave roof is boarded over, and the chancel roof is plastered.
The gallery, which was made out of the old communion rails is dated 1707. Also dating from the eighteenth century is the former reredos (now over the south door), with paintings of the Ten Commandments, Moses, and Aaron.
There are monuments to Anne Rede, who died in 1577 – a low tomb chest in the chancel aisle; and three excellent eighteenth-century wall monuments to members of the Brown family.
Late nineteenth century - The fittings were all replaced in 1886 in ‘mediæval’ style, and the church was heavily influenced by the Oxford Movement. Services here followed the simpler ‘English’ ceremonial.
Late twentieth century – The church was closed in 1975, and the furnishings dispersed to other churches. Its current use is as an exhibition space, which enable the proportions to be appreciated.
The stained glass in the east window is by Michael King, and was installed in 1967. To see magnified pictures and information on all the stained glass in this and other churches across Norfolk visit www.norfolkstainedglass.co.uk
|All Saints Westlegate||St. George Tombland||St. Julian||St. Michael at Plea|
|St. Andrew||St. Giles||St. Lawrence||St. Peter Hungate|
|St. Augustine||St. Gregory||St. Margaret||St. Peter Mancroft|
|St. Benedict||St. Helen||St. Martin at Oak||St. Peter Parmentergate|
|St. Clement||St. James Pockthorpe||St. Martin at Palace Plain||St. Saviour|
|St. Edmund Fishergate||St. John de Sepulchre||St. Mary Coslany||St. Simon & St. Jude|
|St. Etheldreda||St. John Maddermarket||St. Mary the Less||St. Stephen|
|St. George Colegate||St. John Timberhill||St. Michael(Miles) Coslany||St. Swithin|