There remain only 2 monuments in st Mary the Less.
The first is reasonably well preserved, is to Paul Colombine and his wife Esther. The inscription makes clear his French background and pays homage to his father Francois Jacolumbine, a native of Dauphiny, who fled to Norwich on the revocation of the edict of Nantes, where he practised physic. Although little is know about Paul his elder brother Peter (portrait shown)was sheriff in 1751 and mayor in 1755. He was married to Marie, daughter of Gaston Martineau (see below)
Click here for a readable view of the inscription
The second monument is to members of the Martineau family who are again clearly of French origin.
The Martineau family of Norwich became well known in the 19th century as leaders of the Unitarian movement advocating the principles of freedom of conscience advocated by Harriet Martineau and her brother, Dr. James Martineau.
This monument is extremely hard to read but click here for a better view
|All Saints Westlegate||St. George Tombland||St. Julian||St. Michael at Plea|
|St. Andrew||St. Giles||St. Lawrence||St. Peter Hungate|
|St. Augustine||St. Gregory||St. Margaret||St. Peter Mancroft|
|St. Benedict||St. Helen||St. Martin at Oak||St. Peter Parmentergate|
|St. Clement||St. James Pockthorpe||St. Martin at Palace Plain||St. Saviour|
|St. Edmund Fishergate||St. John de Sepulchre||St. Mary Coslany||St. Simon & St. Jude|
|St. Etheldreda||St. John Maddermarket||St. Mary the Less||St. Stephen|
|St. George Colegate||St. John Timberhill||St. Michael(Miles) Coslany||St. Swithin|