The church is noted for its remarkable display of flushwork – patterns made with white stone against black flint. That on the south aisle is original fifteenth century work; that on the chancel is a remarkably good copy of 1884. The east window dates from this restoration, too.
The south aisle (and demolished porch) were added in 1500, by Alderman Gregory Clark; the chapel at its east end was added around the same time by Robert Thorpe, as his chantry chapel. The north aisle was built by Alderman William Ramsey in 1502-04.
The huge Perpendicular windows are also a feature of the building.
The south porch was demolished in 1747, as the abrupt ending of the south aisle and mean appearance of the south door bear witness.
The whole building was thoroughly restored in 1883-4. The chancel was rebuilt and refaced, and a new east window inserted – the old one had been blocked up. At this time, the coloured shields were placed on the corbels, each bearing the attributed coat-of-arms of a saint.
Despite its piecemeal development, the interior of St Miles is an impressive space. It would have been divided up by screens in the Middle Ages: the Rood screen across the chancel, and parclose screens cutting off the chapels.
The arcade pillars are typical late Perpendicular in style.
The font is a simple fourteenth-century design.
There are several monuments. One, defaced, in the north chancel aisle, is probably that of William Ramsey, its builder.
The mediæval furnishings were swept away in the sixteenth century.
In 1741, the chancel was raised by three steps, and paved in white Portland stone ‘with black marble dotts at the corners’ – this was later relaid outside the west door, where it still is. Also at this time, a huge altar-piece was erected (which caused the east window to be blocked). It was eighteen feet high, ‘divided into five parts … and curiously painted’. It was removed in the restoration of 1883, and may be the one now in St John Maddermarket. Its paintings are in Trowse Church.
This is one of the five towers of Norwich where bells are still rung, and the tower holds eight of them
Late twentieth century – the major alteration was the erection the gallery and enclosed spaced under it at the west end, and the removal of all surviving fittings.
There are many interesting monuments in the church.The most impressive is to the notable judge Edmund Hooke. For a full writeup on the learned gentleman, and much more information on this intricate monument click here.
To see magnified pictures and information on all the stained glass in this and other churches across Norfolk visit www.norfolkstainedglass.co.uk
|All Saints Westlegate||St. George Tombland||St. Julian||St. Michael at Plea|
|St. Andrew||St. Giles||St. Lawrence||St. Peter Hungate|
|St. Augustine||St. Gregory||St. Margaret||St. Peter Mancroft|
|St. Benedict||St. Helen||St. Martin at Oak||St. Peter Parmentergate|
|St. Clement||St. James Pockthorpe||St. Martin at Palace Plain||St. Saviour|
|St. Edmund Fishergate||St. John de Sepulchre||St. Mary Coslany||St. Simon & St. Jude|
|St. Etheldreda||St. John Maddermarket||St. Mary the Less||St. Stephen|
|St. George Colegate||St. John Timberhill||St. Michael(Miles) Coslany||St. Swithin|