Norwich 32 Medieval Churches

Click the Headings for a brief synopsis than click the small pictures for full information on each church.

All Saints Church Westlegate (NHCT) MAP
All Saints Church Norwich All Saints’ became redundant in 1973 and in 1979 was leased by the Norwich Historic Churches Trust to All Saints’ Centre. Today the church is a Centre of Christian hospitality, welcoming people from all walks of life and offering a warm and welcoming ‘Home from Home” where people can enjoy a rest and a snack, seek information and assistance and find company and a listening ear. The chapel remains consecrated and prayers are always offered at noon on a Friday.
St Andrew (C of E) MAP
St Andrew Church NorwichSt Andrew, Norwich, is the second largest medieval parish church in the city. It continues to be used for worship. Its treasures include : a unique medieval stained glass window depicting the Dance of Death and spectacular monuments commemorating the Suckling family.
St Augustine (CCT)MAP
St Augustine Church Norwich St Augustine is managed by the Churches Conservation Trust . It can be clearly recognised by its distinctive 17th century brick tower which is the only one of its kind in Norwich. The high, but short, nave is the same length as the chancel, which gives the church an almost square appearance. The windows are Perpendicular, but along with the interior, have been heavily restored by the Victorians.
St Benedict (Ruin)MAP
St Benedict Church NorwichSt Benedict Church gave its name to a street and medieval gateway in Norwich. Unfortunately after the devastating Bedecker raids on Norwich in 1942 all that was left standing was the shell of the aisle and the ancient round tower. Today, all that remains is the tower – and of course the street name.
St Clement-at-Fyebridge (NHCT)MAP
St Clement Church Colegate Norwich The Church of St Clement the Martyr is a powerful element of the townscape of ‘Norwich Over the Water’. where its elegant tower dominates the eastern end of Colegate.

The church is the only NHCT church that still retains its church furnishings. .

St Edmund Fishergate (NHCT)MAP
St Emund Church Fishergate Norwich St Edmunds is one of the smaller City Medieval churches. Since 1999 it has been the home of The Norwich Pregnancy Crisis Centre providing a perfect space for the organisation to carry out its work.

Interestingly since 2007 the church has been reopened on Sundays for religious services, when it is used by the Gateway Vineyard church.

St Etheldreda King Street (NHCT)MAP
St Etheldreda Church Norwich In 1981 St Ethedreda was set up as an artist studio by two graduate sculptors from the Norwich School of Art. As with St Martin at Oak, it was recognised that there was a demand for relatively cheap facilities for local people who did not want to move to London. Today the studio operates as a charity and is home to ten artists who are masters of a variety of disciplines including: painting, printing & sculpting.

St George Colegate (C of E) MAP
St George Colegate Church Norwich More than any other Norwich medieval church, St George Colegate has a Georgian interior. The furnishings clearly indicate that parishoners were wealthy. A large number of them continue to be remembered in memorials including John Crome (the famed Norwich school painter)
St George Tombland (C of E)MAP
St George Tombland Church NorwichThis lovely medieval church in the heart of Norwich is a treasure trove. Amongst other things visitors will have the opportunity of seeing a monument crafted by the nationally renowned craftsman Scheermaker and a medieval stained glass roundel depicting the Labours of the Month of April.
St Giles (C of E)MAP
St Giles Church NorwichThe current church was built around 1400 when the Perpendicular style was first introduced in Norwich. Thus the nave has the sense of height and space (accentuated by tall slender piers supporting rising arches) that one associates with the period. When the present chancel was built in 1866 the Victorians adopted the Decorated style they so loved. The church has a distinctive hammer beam room decorated with angels and shields.
St Gregory Pottergate (NHCT)MAP
St Etheldreda Church NorwichThe imposing church of St Gregory is in the heart of the Norwich Lanes District.The tower looms over the alley which is pinched tighter still by an elegant little West Porch.
Since being in the care of NHCT it has had a variety of uses but is currently not occupied.
St Helen (C of E)MAP
St Helen Church NorwichSt Helens is part of the wonderful Great Hospital complex. The church was originally part of the hospital – which accounts for its shape and the chimneys on its roof! It is an attractive church which contains the only box pews remaining in Norwich. Of particular note are the extraordinary roof bosses, which were probably installed by the same craftsmen working in the Cathedral.
St James Pockthorpe (NHCT)MAP
St James Pockthorpe Church Norwich St James Pockhhorpe is the home of one of Norwich's most loved and unique organisations : "The Norwich Puppet Theatre." Following the conversion of the medieval church, the theatre, was first opened as a public venue in 1980, The conversion & subsequent use of the church epitomises the fact that although the church was established hundreds of years ago it continues to be pivotal to the local community.
St John de Sepulchre (NHCT)MAP
St John de Sepulchre Church NorwichAlthough the church is in the care of the NHCT it continues as a religious centre under the auspices of the Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe. In its current guise it represents "The Orthodox Parish of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian." Services continue to be held weekly in the church.
St John Maddermarket (CCT)MAP
St John Maddermarket Church Norwich This attractive church is managed by the Churches Conservation Trust. Externally it has a rather box like appearance attributed to the fact that it is square in plan and when rebuilt in the 15th century it had no chancel but was given an elegant celerestorey (the latter makes the interior beautifully light).It contains a number of notable features including : a large collection of monuments, attractive stained glass and a somewhat imposing 18th century baldachin.
St John Timberhill (C of E)MAP
St John Timberhill Church NorwichIn the 19th century, after a period of neglect, this medieval church was close to ruin when the vicar (Edward Ram) instigated a programme of repair. Today it consists of a nave, a chancel and two aisles and a tower. Its attractive interior fittings include : a rood beam carrying figures and a reredos (both made in Oberammergau) and a c1500 German candelabrum.
St Julian (C of E)MAP
St Julian Church NorwichThis internationally reputed church was the 14th century home of Dame Julian of Norwich. A church has occupied the site since Anglo Saxon times. Unfortunately in 1942 the site was bombed and the current atmospheric building dates almost entirely from 1958. That said the north wall of the nave is original and repairs after the bombing reveled a number of oculi – circular windows used to light Anglo Saxon churches.
St Lawrence (CCT)MAP
St Lawrence Church NorwichSt Lawrence is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The large, imposing building is noted for the unique profile of its 112 foot tower, with its corner turret. This very “un East Anglian” feature dates from the restoration of the church in 1893. The nave and chancel with their clerestorey run without a break under one roof resulting in the empty, stripped interior being airy, huge and flooded with light.
St Margaret de Westwick (NHCT)MAP
St Margaret Church NorwichOne of four churches on St Benedicts, the church is dominated by its beautiful east window designed by Michael King. Installed in 1967,it depicts the ascension in an expressionist style using glorious bright colours.It very much adds to the ambience of the church which is today used an exhibition space, the light atmospheric building being an ideal setting for artists to display their work.
St Martin at Oak (NHCT)MAP
St Martin at Oak Church NorwichBetween 1976 and 2001 St Martin at Oak was the home of the Norwich Night Shelter. Following the move of the organisation the church was empty for four years before it was recognised that the light open space found in a medieval church, such as this, provides an attractive venue for an artists' studio.Thus since 2005 church has been the home of "On Oaks Studios" performing very much the same role as St Etheldreda's church .

St Martin at Palace (NHCT)MAP
St Martin at Palace Church NorwichAs with so many of medieval church conversions, St Martin at Palace continues to play a pivotal role within the Norwich community. Thus since 2000 Norfolk ACRO (Association for the Care & Resettlement of Offenders) has leased the premises where they continue their work to "support the resettlement and reintegration of ex-offenders into the community"
St Mary Coslany (NHCT)MAP
St Mary coslany Church NorwichSt Mary Coslany has the distinction of being Norwich’s only round towered church. It has had a variety of uses but today is the home of two businesses : Curran Publishing and an internet bookseller. It is somewhat ironic that the church is now so closely linked to books and publishing as Luke Hansard was baptised in the church, whilst in Norwich he “…served an apprenticeship as a printer ..went to London in 1771 and printed journals of the House of Commons”
St Mary the Less (privately owned)MAP
St Mary the Less Church NorwichSt Mary the Less can easily missed in its location on Queens St. It has had a chequered history. It was closed during the Reformation then in 1565 it was given to religious refugees from the Netherlands (the Strangers) as a Cloth hall. Between 1630s to the 1950s various religious groups including the French Walloons and Irvingites held services there. Subsequently it has had various uses including being a warehouse. Today it is in need of further restoration work.
St Miles (Michael) Coslany (NHCT)MAP
St Michael Coslany Church NorwichThis beautifully proportioned church with its remarkable exterior has been the home of the Inspire Discovery Centre since 1995. It is described as “a different kind of museum where children and adults can explore science through fun hands on activities.” The church now attracts over 20,000 visitors including a large number of school groups.
St Michael at Plea (NHCT)MAP
St Michael at Plea Church NorwichSince coming into the care of the NHCT St Michael at Plea has had many uses. More recently in 2004 it opened as the SPCK bookshop, however, since May 2008 it has operated as “The Norwich Christian Resource Centre.” The centre offers visitors: a bookshop, a meeting place and the lovely “Forget me Not Café”.
St Peter Hungate (NHCT)MAP
St Peter Hungate Church NorwichSt Peter Hungate is fondly remembered by many citizens of Norwich as a brass rubbing centre and church museum. Following the closure of the centre the church stood empty for many years. However in 2008 a new charitable trust was formed with the mission of re-opening the church as an exhibition and interpretation centre for the medieval arts. The centre opened in Spring 2009.
St Peter Mancroft (C of E)MAP
St Peter Mancroft Church NorwichThe sense of space and light in this wonderful church is almost overwhelming. Created by the wealth of Norwich’s merchants,it was here they would meet to show off their riches. It was built in one campaign (1430 – 50) and is thus English Perpendicular at its most mature with the interior giving a huge sense of space and light. The East window is superb and contains medieval glass of national importance.
St Peter Parmentergate (NHCT)MAP
St Peter Parmentergate Church Norwich

Since coming into the care of the NHCT in the 1980s the church has had various uses.In 2006 after much hard work and investment it opened as the Norwich Academy of Martial Arts . Club members can now take part in a variety of activities including Kick boxing and Tai Chai. The church, which is home to the Berney monument( one of Norwich’s most stunning memorials) also contains the NHCT’s office.

St Savior Stump Cross (NHCT)MAP
St Peter Parmentergate Church NorwichSince 1996 this small church on Magdalen Street has been part of the Kings Community Church, who do not use it for worship, but as a venue for its youth activities. It has a variety of uses but it particularly comes into its own when live bands appear. As is the case at St Swithins (Norwich Arts Centre) the acoustics in the building are great for concerts with the venue adding to the atmosphere.
St Simon & St Jude (NHCT)MAP
St Simon & St Jude Church NorwichAfter becoming redundant, the church was used by the Scouts until 1997 after which it lay empty. Since 2007 the church has been repaired in two distinctly different ways. Firstly it has been prepared for use by The Anglia Academy of Dance, who are bringing this lovely church back into daily use. At the same time the NHCT raised funding to restore the historically important Pettus family memorial (housed in the church), ensuring that this important relic was not lost.
St Stephen (C of E)MAP
St Stephen Church NorwichSt Stephen was one of three churches built for the new French Borough. The chancel can be dated to 1522 but the nave was not added until 1540s i.e after the Reformation. In particularly the clerestorey and buttresses have a post Reformation feel. The corbels clearly illustrate the change in religious beliefs; thus in the chancel they represent angel heads whilst in the nave they are non figurative.
St Swithin (NHCT)MAP
St Swithin Church NorwichSince 1980 St Swithins has been the home of Norwich Arts Centre.Today it offers users a huge range of entertainment & educational courses encompassing: music, film, theatre, comedy, performing arts, creative courses, photography & digital media.It has enabled many entertainers to develop their craft in fact including : Coldplay, Nirvana, Frank Skinner and Little Britain!
Churches managed by NHCT are highlighted in in bold below. Click to visit a church.
All Saints Westlegate St. George Tombland St. Julian St. Michael at Plea
St. Andrew St. Giles St. Lawrence St. Peter Hungate
St. Augustine St. Gregory St. Margaret St. Peter Mancroft
St. Benedict St. Helen St. Martin at Oak St. Peter Parmentergate
St. Clement St. James Pockthorpe St. Martin at Palace Plain St. Saviour
St. Edmund Fishergate St. John de Sepulchre St. Mary Coslany St. Simon & St. Jude
St. Etheldreda St. John Maddermarket St. Mary the Less St. Stephen
St. George Colegate St. John Timberhill St. Michael(Miles) Coslany St. Swithin