John Ivory 1730- 1805/06
John was the nephew of local architect Thomas Ivory and the cousin of William Ivory.The three worked together at Blickling in the 1760s and 1770s . Although by reason of his apprenticeship to Robert Page he concentrated on sculpture. Initially he took over Page's shop and yard near the Popinjay on Tombland, however, in 1767 he moved to Upper Connisford Street, which was nearer the river which made delivery of stone and marbke easier. in 1774 he relinquished the masonry side of the business to enable him to concentrate on marble work. in 1776 he went into partnership with John DeCarlewho was primarily a builder noted for erecting houses designed by John Soane. In 1792 he moved his premises to King Street. He continued working until his early 60's. Althoughh his son Thomas continued his father's work,he predeceased his father after which the stock in trade was auctioned.
Although his work "was not the equal of Page or Rawlins" (Pvesner) he produced some very attractive memorials.The majority had a "trademark" style consisting of : a central inscription panel flanked by geometric or scrolled wing brackets, with a pyramid and urn above the simple cornice. He tends to use cherubs to decorate the aprons and often uses a "signature" decorative element consisting of a small rosette with a central curving stem or stamen. This style is illustrated on memorials to William Clarke (1687 - 1752) in St George Tombland , and to Martha Wilson (1704 - 1789) in St Michael Coslany
The signed memorial (on right above)to Charles Mackerell (1676 - 1727) in St Stephen is of slightly different design, being an architectural marble tablet with a central rectangular inscription panel framed by a heavily ornamented scrolled and lugged architrave. Although not signed it is surmised that the monument to Joseph Chamberlin (1712 - 62) in St Gregory may also be attributed to Ivory because of its similarities to the Mackerell piece.