Jeremiah Ives (1692 - 1741)
The Ives family were linked by marriage to the Harvey family and two of their family monuments remain in St Clements Church
Family members attained the rank of Mayor throughout the eighteenth century and just into the nineteenth (1801). However, when examining their history there is some confusion as all the Mayors were named Jeremiah !
This Jeremiah was sheriff in 1726 and the first member of the Ives family to attain the staus of Mayor which he did in 1733. He was born at Bourne in Lincolnshire but by 1734 he was living at St Saviour's. Little is known about him although he did support the Whig interest. The monument bears an unusual reference to his last illness (see below)
The decoration on the monument - cherubs, garlands, fruit and flowers is redolent of 17th Century design. However, the basic
structure reflects the eighteenth century move towards the classic Roman style.
The wording on the monument bears witness to a paragon of virtue, whose "Beneficence was extensive...his benevolence,love of truth ...universal". It does, however, report on a long illness ......"for three years( he) endured the torture of the stone with invincible fortitude of mind"
Click here for readable view of inscription.
What the monument tells us.
There are two cherubs reclining on the top of the monument separate by an urn. One of the cherubs is weeping into a handkerchief which signifies death as does the urn (however see below).
Beneath the apex is a winged angel's head symbolising resurrection and the metamorphosis of the soul whilst the garlands surrounding the head (especially when linked with the urn) indicate new life.
The eagle carrying the family crest depicts strength and endurance.